Monday, September 6, 2010

Positioning and Being Positioned

Hello My Names Are:
Rebecca, Becca, Bec, Becca-Do

Rebecca-This is the name that I go by most of the time and what I introduce myself as. This is the name I prefer over all others. This name is what everyone in my household calls me and basically all my friends call me by my full name and my teachers call me by this name as well. If you call me by this name than you really know me because you know this is the name that I want to be called. The position of this name is a daughter, a friend, a student, and an employee. When I go out into the real world and got my first job this is the name that people will know me by.

Becca-This is what some of my family friends call me and what one of my employers calls me. This name puts you at a disadvantage if you use it, because I feel like you do not really know me if you use it. Apparently when I was born this was the name I was called all the time, but it died out before I can even remember. This name comes from a position of a niece and close family friend.

Bec-I am only called this by two people, my Dad and my Uncle Larry. This name positions me as a daughter, my father's baby girl (even though I am not the baby of the family). It also positions me as a the little girl who would come running to give my uncle a hug. This name clearly gives you access into my life as it is a cute pet-name. Of course, both men use my full name when we are with a group of people, but when it is just me and my dad he calls me it and my uncle only calls me it when he hugs my hello and goodbye.

Becca-Do-This is the nickname my Aunt Deb gave me. This positions me into a niece who likes to goof around with her aunt. My Aunt Deb is very goofy and so whenever we are in a silly mood she calls me that. It is only used for family occasions, never when we are out in public.

Hello My Names Are Not
Becky
Becky-I absolutely detest this name. If you call me this, than you are a friend of my grandmother's because that is what she used to call me. This name puts me in the position of Bobbie's granddaughter. I would not use this name for any purpose whatsoever as I feel that it is very babyish and unprofessional.


No comments:

Post a Comment