Sunday, September 19, 2010

Podcast

For my podcast I am thinking about using the text, "Best Friends Wear Pink Tutus" which deals with gender stereotypes. I would discuss the title: why is it tutus? Why not cleats? Can't best friends be girls who play soccer together? The girls also have a big fight over who would play the lead role. Why do girls always have to compete against one another? Also, why can't a boy be in ballet class? Why can't the best friends be little boys?

Though I remember loving the book when I was little, thinking back on it, I think this book reflects gender stereotypes. That is an important issue to discuss when it comes to children's literature. Girls should be able to do everything boys can do and this book makes me ask the question, why can't they?

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that someone else is considering a text that focuses on how mean girls can be to one another and how sometimes competition gets the better of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. In your podcast I would definitely include part of what you have written in this post. In particular the questions and also the background information regarding your initial reading of the text as a young child. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete